This week, I announced my agriculture policy platform – which I believe is truly transformative. You can find it in full here.
My key priorities are:
- Stop the reckless use of scattershot tariffs that hurt American farmers.
- Strengthen antitrust laws and enforce them in the agricultural industry.
- End subsidies for industrial farming corporations, and dramatically increase subsidies for farmers practicing or transitioning to sustainable methods.
- Protect US farmers by instituting a “Buy American” policy for all federal procurement programs.
- Reinstate mandatory country-of-origin labeling for beef and pork.
- Prevent foreign countries and corporations from buying up US farmland.
- Stand up for the “Right to Repair” farm equipment and other high technology.
- Improve and expand programs that help farmers of color and prospective farmers from historically underrepresented communities to access farmland and credit.
- Create a National Land Bank as part of a 21st Century Sustainable Homestead Act, to put unutilized farmland into production and expand access to organic food.
- Strengthen protections for migrant farmworkers, and expand vital guest worker programs in agricultural industries.
- Increase nutrition assistance for needy families.
- Institute mandatory on-package labeling of genetically engineered foods (GMOs) in clear, visible language, because consumers have a right to know what they are eating.
- Launch a thorough scientific survey of the safety and efficacy of GMOs and common chemicals used in agriculture, with particular attention paid to known hazardous compounds like glyphosate, dicamba, atrazine, chlorpyrifos, malathion & neonicotinoids.
- Restore accountability and oversight to the USDA and FDA by removing corporate lobbyists from positions of power, and begin basing agricultural policy on sound science.
- Fund research into climate stabilizing agriculture, and incentivize farmers to use regenerative, carbon-sequestering methods.
- Expand funding for the USDA’s Agricultural Research Service and the National Plant Germplasm System, which are critical to our future food security.